To “Sell or Not to Sell” your home using an agent, that is the question.
In today’s tough housing market, some sellers are looking to cut costs by selling their property without using a real estate agent.
Sellers who skip the listing agent and offer their home as a “for sale by owner” have the potential to save thousands of dollars in agent’s fees, however, “for sale by owners” should be prepared to do a lot of legwork to manage the sales process, with no guarantee of a final sale, and to avoid some of the major pitfalls that may when the sales transaction goes awry.
Here are five questions experts say homeowners should ask themselves before selling a home on their own.
- Do I know the value of my home in today’s market?
- Am I ready to work with a buyer’s agent?
- Will I take charge of sales and marketing responsibilities?
- Can I bear criticism of my home?
- Am I willing to screen potential buyers?